Initial Decisions on Transistors

A lot of the early work on a discrete transistor-based began in earnest in 2001, starting with building and testing a replica of the voltage adder used in the Moog model 901 VCO. In contemplating a full range of modules, I began to select a standard set of transistor devices to build with. There was a need to cover high-gain, low-noise, as well as switching applications, and just plain general purpose.

The two pages below are the 2001 selection list for essentially the DC amplification role, with specific performance emphases. In the 16 years since I made this selection, some of these parts have become obsolete, and others obtainable, but harder to get. I sure did not see that coming. I mean time marches on, and SoT devices of course became available. But never would I have thought that certain specific devices would become unavailable, or that standards like the 2N2222A would only be available in TO-92 packaging as the PN2222A.



Comments